Tuesday, November 4, 2014

On Getting Older !!

I am a day older today then I was yesterday.  So What does that matter ? Actually, I am very happy to be able to say that. And if I add 364 more days to today I will be exactly one year older.  Its a real blessing to keep counting our days.  Age ain't nothing but a number, and a state of mind they say. I might add, its a math problem also. No matter how old we are, the important thing is how we count our days, what we do with them. How we choose to stimulate our mind and body.  I agree wholeheartedly with that. I feel the same today mentally as I did when I was in high school. In my head I am still that young person I always knew. I still feed myself the same mental thoughts. Its true my body has changed and my physical ability has decreased. But I am a mental giant. I am certainly no less intelligent but the more so. The older we get studies have found that our brain actually grow. Did you know that? We can not  allow our age or the older we get to become a stigma. Our mind plays a vital role in everything.  We become what we think we are. What can we do to experience the true beauty of aging?  We need to maintain or increase the functional activity of our mind and body. This is what keeps our intelligence sharp. Up until now no doubt we had a family to care for , perhaps a job or something. Functional activity of the mind and the body came by force.  We had to make quick decisions and sometimes not so quick. We had places to go, things to do, people to see. Now it no longer happens that way. We have to go seek it out. The kids have grown and the job is behind us. And  we need to keep going. Our brain is like a muscle, when its worked it stays strong.  We can't lose interest in the world and the living. If we do our body and mind will pay for it. Our quality of our life will erode greatly. Now is the time for a new enrichment so to speak. To seek out the things of interest to you. Pick a new hobby. Take up gardening. Get a pet. Stay connected with people. They don't have to be familiar to you, just human.  Animals are good companions, but they cant appreciate our intelligence. Share the wisdom you have acquired with others every chance you get. Let them see you are over fifty and extraordinary. So don't slow down, keep on moving ,don't stop!!  Remember, life is 10 percent of what happens to you and 90 percent of how you react to it. Getting older is only part  of  the 10 percent of what happens. That being the case, let's do it with grace!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment